<< back to Sermons
The Tree of Life
Watch a video of the sermon.
Listen to the sermon. You could also download the sermon.
This page contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. In accord with our non-profit mission to share the Word of Yahweh, we use the material only for that non-profit mission. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
Read about the sermon.
The Tree of Life
- Shalom saints. I hope all is well with you.
- When my lovely wife and I were studying the Scriptures during the Feast of Tabernacles, it dropped into me to study the tree of life.
- So, today, Yahweh willing, we are going to look at the tree of life.
- We first encounter the tree of life in Genesis 2:8,9 ESV And Yahweh Elohim planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9 And out of the ground Yahweh Elohim made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
- In Genesis 2:9 is where we first encounter the tree of life.
- Notice what the Word says of all the trees in the Garden of Eden which includes the Tree of Life, Yahweh Elohim made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food.
- The Tree of Life was pleasant to the sight and good for food.
- Yahweh mentioned two special trees in the Garden of Eden, the Tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
- Note that both trees were pleasant to the sight and good for food.
- The trees were beautiful to look at. They didn’t look ugly. There were nice to look at.
- Also, they were good for food. You could eat them and enjoy their fruit.
- But, Yahweh told Adam in verse 16 And Yahweh Elohim commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”
- Yahweh planted a beautiful garden in the east and placed beautiful trees there. All the trees were beautiful and pleasant to eat. But there was one, of which Yahweh said, you shall not eat of it. If you do, you will die.
- Yahweh made all things and even after sin has entered into the world there are many beautiful things. Just because something is beautiful and pleasant doesn’t mean it’s OK to do.
- There are many beautiful things that will kill you.
--- Oh, Spirit, my Guide, help me explain this ---
- Adam and his wife Eve ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. That was a sin. Because of that sin, death passed to all men, including you and me.
- Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—
- After Adam and Eve had eaten from the one special tree, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, Yahweh prevented them from eating from the other special tree, the Tree of Life.
- You see eating from these two special trees was not just a physical thing. Your mouth didn’t just taste good fruit and your belly sing for joy with happy deliciousness, no, there were spiritual implications.
- Something happened in you at a deeper level when you ate from these trees. This wasn’t just physical food, it was spiritual food.
- Man wasn’t supposed to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil because man wasn’t supposed to know good and evil.
- Man was supposed to remain innocent, like a baby, and have no knowledge of good and evil, and simply trust Yahweh.
- Isn’t that what we’re told now?
- Luke 18:17 ESV Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of Elohim like a child shall not enter it.”
- Receive it, simply believe the Gospel.
- Isaiah 7:14,15 ESV Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call his name Immanuel [Elohim with us]. 15 He shall eat curds and honey when he knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good.
- When Yehoshua was a baby, He did not know the difference between good and evil. Not that he had sin. He was innocent.
- 1 Cor. 14:20 ESV Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature.
- We should be infants, babies, in evil. We shouldn’t know sin, it should be something we know little about it.
Separation from the Tree of Life
- Eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was a sin because Yahweh told Adam and Eve not to eat from it.
- Genesis 3:22, 23 Then Yahweh Elohim said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the Tree of Life and eat, and live forever—” 23 therefore Yahweh Elohim sent him out from the garden of Eden to work the ground from which he was taken.
- When Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, Yahweh kicked them out of the Garden of Eden, so they will not eat from the Tree of Life.
- This shows us something about these two special trees.
- Eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil imparted immediate spiritual knowledge of good and evil.
- Parents will prevent their young children from watching certain kinds of movies because they have evil in them. Because they are young, the don’t know the difference between good and evil and may do the evil thinking it is good.
- Adam and Eve were babies in spiritual knowledge, it wasn’t time for them to learn about good and evil.
- The other special tree, the Tree of Life, was able to impart eternal life. Eating from the Tree of Life meant having eternal life.
- Yahweh didn’t want man to be a state of sin and have eternal life, so Yahweh kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden.
- That was the first sign of Yahweh’s protective kindness toward unbelievers.
- Before you got saved, Yahweh kept your life from being taken away…explain…
Let’s Look at the Tree of Life
- The Tree of Life was found in the Garden of Eden – Genesis 2 and 3
- The only other place we find the Tree of Life is in Revelation 2 and 22.
- So, what does eating from the Tree of Life do? Do we have any examples in Scripture of attributes of the Tree of Life?
- We find these verses in Proverbs, which I believe, are attributes of the Tree of Life.
- Proverbs 13:12 ESV Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.
- Titus 2:13,14 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great Elohim and Savior Yehoshua Messiah, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.
- If one eats from the Tree of Life, he has hope and that hope will surely come to pass.
- Isaiah 25:9 It will be said on that day, “Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is Yahweh; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.”
- Let’s look at another characteristic of the Tree of Life.
- Proverbs 15:4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.
- A gentle tongue, a good speech, speech that is not harsh, critical or hurtful is a tree of life.
- Matthew 11:29 ESV Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle [meekness with gentleness] and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- If one eats from the Tree of Life, he or she will be of gentle speech.
- Let’s look at another characteristic.
- Proverbs 11:30 KJV The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
- The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he that winneth souls is wise.
- What is the fruit of the righteous?
- It’s the fruit of the Spirit because righteousness and the Holy Spirit are given only to those who have believed the Gospel.
- He that winneth souls is wise? What is that? That’s the Gospel!
- So, if someone eats of the Tree of Life, he or she will exhibit the fruit of the righteous, and in the same proverb is a winning of souls – the Gospel.
- So, some of you can already see where this is leading.
- At the very least the Tree of Life is a symbol of Yehoshua.
- Not convinced?
- In all those verses in Proverbs, let’s replace “the tree of life” with “Yehoshua”.
- Proverbs 13:12 ESV Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is [Yehoshua].
- Does Yehoshua fulfill our desires? As believers our desires are holy, right?
- Delight in Yahweh and He will give you the desires of your heart.
- Proverbs 15:4 A gentle tongue is [Yehoshua], but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.
- Does Yehoshua have a gentle tongue? Yes.
- You see, what Yahweh does is Who He is.
- Yahweh doesn’t just love, Yahweh is Love.
- Yehoshua isn’t just gentle, the definition of what gentleness is, is Yehoshua.
- Proverbs 11:30 KJV The fruit of the righteous is [Yehoshua]; and he that winneth souls is wise.
- Is it possible to exhibit the fruit of the righteous (that’s the fruit of the Spirit) without Yehoshua?
- You shall know them by their fruit.
- A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and there is only? one that is good.
- Galatians 2:20 ESV I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
- Let us look at another one.
- Proverbs 3:13 ESV Blessed is the one who finds wisdom…
- Verse 18 ESV She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called blessed.
- Wisdom is personified as a woman.
- Verse 19 ESV Yahweh by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding He established the heavens;
- Now, this wisdom is a tree of life. Personified as a woman. But, if we replace that verse, verse 18, with Yehoshua, does that still hold true?
- Verse 18 [Wisdom] is [Yahshua] to those who lay hold of [Him]; those who hold Him fast are called blessed.
- Or to have Yahshua is to be wise? Is this true?
- 1 Corinthians 1:24 NASB but to those who are the called [believers], both Jews and Greeks, Messiah the power of Elohim and the wisdom of Elohim.
- Yehoshua is the wisdom of Elohim and by Yehoshua, Yahweh founded the earth and established the Heavens.
- John 1:3 ESV All things were made by Him [Yehoshua]; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.
- Now, if the Tree of Life is a symbol of Yehoshua, what kind of tree are you?
- Fruits only grow on trees, so what kind of tree are you?
- Luke 13:6,7 ESV And He [Yehoshua] told this parable: “A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. 7 And he said to the vinedresser, ‘Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?’
- --- Oh, Spirit of the Living God, speak through me! ---
- Luke 13:8 ESV And he answered him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. 9 Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.’”
- --- Oh, Spirit of the Living God, speak through me! ---
- Isaiah 5:1 – 2 ESV Let me sing for my beloved
- my love song concerning his vineyard:
- My beloved had a vineyard
- on a very fertile hill.
- 2 He dug it and cleared it of stones,
- and planted it with choice vines;
- he built a watchtower in the midst of it,
- and hewed out a wine vat in it;
- and he looked for it to yield grapes,
- but it yielded wild [worthless] grapes.
- --- Oh, Spirit of the Living God, speak through me! ---
- Verse 4 What more was there to do for my vineyard,
- that I have not done in it?
- When I looked for it to yield grapes,
- why did it yield wild [worthless] grapes?
- --- Oh, my Spirit, speak your words through me. ---
- 5 And now I will tell you
- what I will do to my vineyard.
- I will remove its hedge,
- and it shall be devoured;
- I will break down its wall,
- and it shall be trampled down.
- 6 I will make it a waste;
- it shall not be pruned or hoed,
- and briers and thorns shall grow up;
- I will also command the clouds
- that they rain no rain upon it.
- --- Speak, Master, speak ---
- So, what kind of tree are you? Are you the tree that the Master wants to cut down? Are you yielding fruit?
- How long will you be told to bear fruit? How long will you be in the assembly bearing no fruit?
- Why do you only bear fruit during the yearly feasts, but the weekly feast, the Sabbath, you barely bear fruit?
- --- Spirit, speak through me! ---
- Matthew 7:19 ESV Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
- --- Oh Master speak through me ---
This is the Kind of Tree You Should Be
- The first psalm
Psalm 1:1 – 3 KJV Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of Yahweh; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
- ---Speak through me, oh Spirit ---
- Didn’t Yahshua say if you abide in me, you will bear much fruit! You will bear much fruit!
- Verse 3 of the first psalm says 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
- What is this referring to? A tree planted by the water, bearing fruit in his season and the leaves don’t wither! That means that tree is always fresh, and always ready to bear fruit in his season!
- Do we see a tree a like this anywhere in Scripture!
- Revelation 22:1 – 2 ESV Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
- Psalm 1:3 is pointing to Revelation 22. In Psalm 1:3 that man who meditates in the Word, in Yahshua, day and night is like a tree bearing fruit in his season, that man is like Yahshua, the Tree of Life, who imparts eternal life and is always bearing fruit!
- This is the tree you want to be like!
- --- Speak, oh Messiah speak to Your Church ---
- May Yahweh bless His Word, may it not return void, may there be much fruit! Amen!